Cool people you should look up:

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour

I unfortunately missed Earth hour as I'm spending time in a household that refuses to turn off the TV. It's fair enough, perhaps, as they go the extra mile to cut down electricity and have made their home more energy efficient through little things.

I know I have a long way to go, but here are just a few things that I can think of, that I do regularly to reduce my pollution to this world.

- I turn off any lights that I am not using. I regularly turn off the kitchen lights (to piss off my roomates)
- We use re-usable recycled bags whenever we go shopping.
- I walk to school most of the time, and I bike to work whenever I miss the bus. For the first two years I lived here I travelled by bus as I did not have access to a car.
- I am a vegetarian. I'm not going to get into this one, but less energy is lost through the food chain as there are less levels. (sun - plants - humans) vs (sun - grass - cattle - humans)
- I try to buy local. I try to buy most of my veggies at the farmer's market... which at this time of year isn't very local, but this is more helpful in the summer!
- I try to buy less packaged and bulk-products. Hopefully this helps in a little way.
- I don't flush every time I go to the washroom (numbers 1s).
- I shower less than once/day. I wont tell you how often, and I try to keep my showers about 10 mins long.
- I hate wasting papers when I print, so I've been collecting already-printed papers that have a blank side. I print on the blank side :) I've also recently made a notebook this way.

One-sided papers folded in half and hole-punched into a neat re-cycled notebook.
- I turn the water off when I brush my teeth.
- I am trying to start watering my house plants with rain water. This will be easier once the bucket outside isn't frozen!
- I compost! I have been keeping worms under my bed for a year now and I feed them egg shells, banana peels, coffee grinds, etc. They have just had babies and I am super excited that I haven't killed them! :D


That's about all I can think of at the moment.
What did you do for Earth Hour? What do you do to reduce your impact on this world?

No comments:

Post a Comment