Cool people you should look up:

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Commuting to work

This week has been super busy for me. It was full of classes, reading, applications, preparing, recording, editing, biking and being trained. There was also a (successful) job interview in the mix.


I have been working on the essentials, in order to keep on top of everything. I worked on:

  • getting all my readings for class done, so I don't fall behind
  • working out, to keep sane and stress-free
  • preparing for things the day before
  • planning errands and little things around the big things, to be most time-effecient
  • sleeping enough hours to keep going.
I am so proud to say that I've managed to work out almost every day of this week (I say almost because Mondays literally have no time for anything between my 9 hours of classes). Dailymile tells me I've covered 61km this week, which puts it at one of the highest mileage weeks I've ever recorded.

I think the biggest part of that is that I decided to incorporate working out with transport - I have biked to and from work/meetings/school as much as I was able this week. This helped me log 5.5hours of exercise this week, among the gym and swim workouts I've done.

On a ride back home, I was thinking about how great biking is. 
  • It's a lot cheaper than cars, because I don't pay for parking or gas. 
  • It's great for the environment :)
  • It helped maintain my fitness, and get my workouts in.
  • It's even faster than the bus, because the bus makes frequent stops for people!
And biking makes me feel pretty great, because I can transport myself around, and there's huge power to that. 

There are also, however, some bad things to biking. Especially when it's 8am on a Sunday and I'm having bike problems.
For example:
  • If a bike doesn't have a chain-cover, the bike WILL eat your pants!
  • If you decide to take off the front wheel to fit your bike in a small place, and don't know how to put it back... well that'll cause you stress in the morning. And some time while you wake up all your room-mates for help :)
  • Biking can make you feel a bit dorky... I was noticing this today - most people don't wear helmets, but I do. And I think they all look at me funny, especially since I usually bike slowly (it's been pretty windy this weekend!)
  • It can be dangerous. Sometimes for people walking that don't get out of your way, or sometimes because of silly drivers that fail to be respectful for your right of way.
Having had time this week to explore the pros and cons of biking to work, I have come to the conclusion that I will forever continue doing this :)
And since I do now have a job (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I can save a little money and buy my OWN bike, and hopefully it'll have a chain-guard to keep all my pants safe.

Happy Sunday evening everyone - enjoy the week to come!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I also ped-commute (either bike or walk) and can honestly say that it allows me to watch my weight successfully even when I don't have time to work out beyond my 20-40 minute commute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tofu conundrum - if you fry it or bake it to get a crispy edge, pressing works wonder! Try pressing some firm or extra-firm tofu between two plates lined with paper towels for 20-30 minutes (up to 24 hours). Stack a can of tomatoes on top of the top plate. It makes such a difference. Creamy inside/crispy outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NO-LONGER-NEW JOB !! :)

    ReplyDelete